Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chinese Week 2012

Although I have only been an intern here at Phoenix Sister Cities for a short time, I cannot even begin to describe how much I am enjoying the experiences and opportunities within the organization. Yesterday, January 23rd marked the beginning of Chinese Week "The Year of the Dragon" here in Phoenix and I had the privilege to be apart of the celebration as I was asked to help set up for the opening reception and and news conference at Phoenix City Hall Atrium. The reception and news conference have become a yearly tradition to kick off the extensive celebration and numerous activities that constitute Chinese Week. The opening event went very well as several people spoke to kick off and pay tribute to Chinese Week. Of those who spoke were Tony Tang who is the acting president of Chinese Week 2012, Councilwoman Williams, and Vice Mayor Johnson, who has devoted much of his time to facilitating the relationship between the City of Phoenix and Sister City Chengdu, China, where he visited in 2008. The reception was very warm and interactive as a variety of Chinese refreshments were served while highly respected martial artists performed a kung-fu demonstration and a traditional dragon dance. Everyone I met at the reception was extremely nice and outgoing and I sincerely enjoyed each and every conversation I had throughout the afternoon. Attached is the link to the Chinese Week 2012 brochure if anyone is interested in taking part in the festivities throughout the week: https://phoenixsistercities.org/images/stories/Chengdu/brochures/2012chinesebrochure.pdf

3 comments:

  1. What an experience to participate in Chinese Week and the celebration in Phoenix. It sounds like there were a lot of festivities and demonstrations that highlighted Chinese culture. Do you know how long Phoenix and Chengdu have been sister cities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in San Francisco, I am very familiar with the Chinese New Year celebrations! It was always treated as a huge festival and holiday even in the public schools. I love the Chinese New Year, and I had no idea Phoenix had their own celebration for the New Year.

      Did PSC organize the Chinese week or is it in collaboration with other organizations or city departments?

      Delete
  2. That's exciting that you were able to be apart of the celebration! It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I wish I could have tried the variety of Chinese refreshments! Chinese food is one of my favorites. I love to try different kinds! It sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete